Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Our Big Move

February brought in sweeping changes for the Martin household. Phillip received two job offers. One in his field and one that wasn't in his field. I'm sure you figured out which job he chose. It all happened so quickly and it was something that he was so proud to be a part of and just happened to be a position that he was missing a lot of experience from. This would be a perfect opportunity to gain wonderful experience, do what he loves to do and get paid! lol It all happened so fast. One minute we were wondering what in the world God had in store for us and the next minute Phillip was employed, we were scheduling a housing trip and planning a move. So we packed up the van and headed up to Tennessee with all three kids and Nana in the back seat running interference and entertaining the kids while we drove.

When we arrived at our destination it was cold and snowing. Our first initial observation of the town (which neither of us had been to) was interesting to say the least. The housing search proved to be depressing and I felt that we were not off to a great start. The second day we met with a second Realtor that was amazing! We told him what we were looking for and a little about ourselves. He pegged our info in the computer and immediately came up with 3 homes that he new we would just love. His father (we'll call Sr.) took us to lunch, prayed with us, introduced us to several people he knew and we were off. We settled on the second house we looked at to rent for a year. Along the way Sr showed us churches, schools, and all the important stuff we would need to know. I like to refer to him as the Mayor. He knew everything about everyone. We signed a lease, packed up the family and headed back home to frantically pack our house.

A frantic week and a half later, the biggest U-Haul you could rent, one trailer pulled behind the truck, my van, my mother-in-law's van headed out leaving behind our Sweet Home Alabama. I have to tell you that this place is my home. It is so true that this place is in your heart and there's no place like Dixie! :) Guess I'm a southern girl at heart.

So we pull up to our new house and there's snow on the ground and dark. The guys are frantically moving all the boxes and stuff in the house, setting beds up and busting there butts. Thank goodness Phillip had the week off before he started his new job. We needed every waking hour to unpack and try and settle in the best we could.

The following Monday Phillip started his new job and I started in to my world of being a stay at home Mom to a miracle group of three. I always prided myself on how I could do it all. Be the ultimate non-stressed Mom. Hummm.....I have been proven wrong. Parenting and mothering a four year old and two four month old twins is hard. Down right hard. Everything to trying to get somewhere at a specific time, putting them in car seats, making sure the diaper bag has everything we'll need while out, actually carrying the heavy suckers downstairs to the van. Whoa doggy! I had no idea what I was in for. Since Phillip had been home with me for five months and we had split duties or he was always there to help me load a car, grab a baby, love on Emma. Without my second half during the day I became overwhelmed. It was dark and gloomy outside, freezing with beautiful snow on the ground. Everything I had every wanted! lol Yes, be careful what you ask for. I always wanted my kids to grow up somewhere that had snow. I set out to not feel sorry for myself and was determined to make friends and no be alone during the day. I got Emma in to gymnastics right away. Two days after we had moved she was already starting. My Mom and I took her to her first class here and it was different to say the least. Soon I realized that we were not in Alabama anymore. Nothing would EVER be the same.

I put on my big girl panties and tried to look at Tennessee in a positive light. Even though this town will be every bit as different as Alabama, it doesn't mean that everything here is bad. So I focused on the positives. Realized that if I stressed my dislikes to much that Emma would pick up on them and carry them along. I'm still practicing that mantra every day I get up and go but it has allowed me to embrace this place a lot easier.

I love Alabama and would move back in a heart beat. But I am determined to make this place my home. A happy home. I would love it if this is the place we raise our kids, Phillip retires from the same company after many many many many good years at! ;) We've had our share of hard times this year and I know I'm looking forward to waving them goodbye!

1 comment:

LordLuvU said...

Moving to a new place and hubby working a new job. Wow, that's really hard, especially with your little ones. But, as you already know, God is good and will take care of you and yours. God bless!

I'll give you the link to my blog, it seems that we might have a common faith: http://lordismerciful.blogspot.com