Saturday, May 10, 2008

1/2 Ironman

It's 6:45am and I'm lounging on my 12th floor balcony overlooking the beautiful (actually hazy) Gulf of Mexico. What am I doing up so early and what are we doing at Panama City Beach you ask? Phillip's doing the 1/2 Ironman Triathlon. Nuts? Yes! I'm beaming with pride and full of emotion as I sit here watching thousands of maniacs swimming half a mile out in "red flag" currents and turning around to swim the 1/2 mile back in. It's hazy so you can hardly see the buoys at the 1/2 mile mark. There are rescue boats, kayaks and canoes patroling the waters for people that need rescueing or just need to hang on the side for a quick break (no penalties for that.)

What I like about this sport is that it is generally a sport where you compete against yourself. But this weekend seems to be a bit testosterone filled even though there are many women around doing the race too. I should usually fit right in with my high testosterone levels and all but not today. I am estrogen filled.

No comments: