Friday, March 7, 2008

Exit Only Please

Nothing like going to see your friends husband to talk about constipation, diarreah and everything that is wrong with your body. But hey, he does this for a living so I'm nothing new to look at. He suggested that I have a colonoscopy done and that he wanted to do more bloodwork and take stool samples. So we scheduled my colonoscopy for Thursday. I had no idea what I was in for.

Tuesday night I drank my first bottle of Magnesium Citrate in lemon-lime flavor. It tasted like salt and smelt like it was taken from a porta-potty. After drinking 3/4 of the bottle I re-read my instructions and realized I wasn't supposed to drink the stuff until Thursday morning before I went in for the colonoscopy. Great.

So Wednesay I had to fast all day and could only have clear liquids such as broth, jello, popsicles, etc... I was a total grouch in the morning but as the day went on it got better and wasn't so bad. At 5:30 I had to take a pill that reduced indigestion and then at 6:00 I had to start drinking this liquid from a 4-qt jug. It was so bad. I was only about to get down 1 1/2 cups of the nasty stuff. I was supposed to drink it until my poo was clear. Interesting but yes, clear poo. I called the on-call Dr. and told him I just couldn't handle it. He told me that I could get a second bottle of Magnesium Citrate and drink that and I should be ok.

Thursday morning I was in the office by 9am but wasn't taken back until 10:30. By now I was ready to chew my arm off due to no food and the lack of even water to drink. When the lady first called me back she asked if I was her for an endoscope! Ughhh! No! Try the other end lady. She apologized, corrected herself and began the process. They prepped me, put me in some fashionable blue paper shorts that were about 20 times to big for me, hooked me up to an IV and laid me on the stretcher. I waited in the hall with all the other old gray-haired men waiting for their turn. All of a sudden I heard this man groan and yell NOOOOOO! I sat up straight looked at the closest nurse and she smiled and giggled a little. Thanks for the warning lady. I then got wheeled in to my room. I told my nurse that I didn't want any yelling, moaning or groaning during my session. She was funny and said that the man thought he was at home! Ok. They were super nice and eased my fears and slowly sent me into my Demoral sleeping state. It was so nice. I remember starting to wake up and pooting. How embarrasing! That was it. It was all over and I didn't feel a thing. I was sent home with instructions to rest and that they would be in touch.

The Dr. did say that some of my bloodwork came back from Tuesday and that my inflammation had gone down but they still saw some swollen lymphnodes. He thinks that it is not Chron's Disease but that he's leaning towards a food allergy such at Celiac's Disease or Eso-colitis or something like that where a parasite is in my intestions and hasn't gotten out. He took several biopsey's and we will see what those come back with.

1 comment:

Searching said...

I was dx'ed with celiac's for two years. Then they decided it was wrong. That completely and totally sucked and ruined a nice chunk of my college years. Plus it was an expensive diet to follow. The colonoscopy was horrible. A million times worse than a spinal tap. I'm so sorry you had to go through that!! Jello makes me nauseated still...

I sure hope they can give you a straight answer SOON!!!