Tuesday, December 4, 2007

September 2007

Dr. Lucas changed my protocol slightly and this month I will be using a different gonadotropin shot called Follistim. It is essentially the same medication as the Gonal F but made by a different manufacturer. I have no idea why it would make a difference in the end result but I'm trusting the Doctor.

August 26th I started on the Prometrium to get me to start my period. I would take 1 pill for the next 7 days.

Cycle Day 2
Wednesday September 5
Went in to the office to get my baseline ultrasound.

Left ovary-
1. less than 1.0
5-6 total follicles on the left side.

Right ovary-
1. less than 1.0
3-4 total follicles on the right side.

Endometrium- 0.67
Start Follistem on Thursday September 6 100iu's of Follistim for 4 nights

Cycle Day 6
Monday September 10
Returned to the office at 7am for ultrasound and bloodwork.

Left ovary-
1. 0.7
2. less than 0.7
20+ total follicles on the left side.

Right ovary-
1. 0.75
2. less than 0.7
20+ total follicles on the right side.

Cycle Day 9
Thursday September 13
Returned to the office at 7am for ultrasound and bloodwork.

Left ovary-
1. 0.7
2. less than 0.7
20+ total follicles on the left side.

Right ovary-
1. 0.7
2. less than 0.7
20+ total follicles on the right side.

Estrogen level- 50
Endometrium- 0.71
150iu's of Follistim for 2 more nights.

Cycle Day 11
Saturday September 15
Returned to the office at 7am for ultrasound and bloodwork.

Left ovary-
1. 0.88
Many follicles on the left side.

Right ovary-
1. 0.77
Many follicles on the right side.

Estrogen level- 114
Endometrium- 0.60
175iu's of Follistim for 3 more nights.

Cycle Day 14
Tuesday September 18
Returned to the office at 7am for ultrasound and bloodwork.
Left ovary-
1. 1.35
2. 1.15
3. 1.05
4. 0.95
20+ total follicles on the left side.

Right ovary-
1. 0.95
2. 0.95
20+ total follicles on the right side.

Estrogen level- 524
Endometrium- 1.10
No Meds and need to come back tomorrow for another ultrasound and bloodwork.

Cycle Day 15
Wednesday September 19
Returned to the office at 7am for ultrasound and bloodwork.

Left ovary-
1. 1.65
2. 1.3
3. 1.1
4. 1.05
20+ total follicles on the left side.

Right ovary-
1. 1.05
2. 1.0
3. less than 1.0
20+ total follicles on the right side.

Estrogen level- 1011
Endometrium- 1.34

HCG Shot!!! 5,000iu's

The HCG shot is the last shot given in the cycle. This is to trigger ovulation. Now starts the two week waiting period to take a pregnancy test.

I had such a good cycle and everything is super positive! Yea! This could definitely be the month. I'm feeling really good about it. My attitude is positive.

Cycle Day 21
Thursday September 27
Returned to the office for progesterone bloodwork to see if I ovulated.

The nurse called me that afternoon with my bloodwork results. My progesterone level came back at 5.4! 5.4? Did I hear her right? She then told me that the doctor likes to see a good progesterone level around 15-20 but they have seen pregnancies result in very low progesterone numbers. She told me not to get to upset yet and that we would check for a pregnancy on October 3rd.

As soon as I hung up the phone I began to sob. Self-pity set in. I wanted to be the Mom with lots of kids driving the mini-van since I was a little girl. I wanted to be the Mom with six kids running around and being in parental bliss. By the way, have you ever seen anyone in "parental bliss?" I'll save this question to ponder later. As I sat at the table and cried and feeling lonely a thought came to me. "I am the Great Comforter. I will sit here with you and hold your hand as you cry. As you cry, I cry. I weep for you. Trust me. In time I will give you what you ask of me."

I called Phillip and cried to him. He said he was sure the lab must have left a 1 out of the bloodwork and that it probably was 15.4. He thought I had such a great cycle and that he was feeling really good about it too. He's such the optimist! :) He told me to call the office back and see if I could come in tomorrow morning and have them run my bloodwork again.

The nurse said that she would have the lab rerun the bloodwork in the morning and give me a call. Ok. I had peace in my heart and knew that I had to trust the Lord. He had just spoken to me. He knows what I want and he will provide in HIS time.

Friday the nurse called back and indeed the lab was right the first time. My progesterone level was 5.4. We would wait and see. All I could do was pray.

No need for a pregnancy test. Saturday September 30 I awoke to my period. Atleast I had been somewhat prepared for not being pregnant since the shock of Thursday's results. I had two days to have it all sink in but there's really no preparing oneself for the fact that yet again, you are not pregnant and you cannot get pregnant on your own.

If I can't get pregnant on my own and I not getting pregnant on two rounds of shots then will I ever get pregnant again?

No comments: